Thomas Rixon, the son of William Rixon and Ann Hoare, was born January 31, 1843 in Stringy Bark Mountain Road, Appin, NSW.
Thomas’ father, William died when Thomas was only four years old on May 28, 1847 at Campbelltown. After William’s death, Ann married twice more. On June 11, 1848, she married Owen Dunlaghan who died in January 1851. A year later, on January 24, 1852, Ann married William Henry Phibbs with whom she had one child, William Jordan Phibbs who died on November 24, 1863. His mother continued to live in the area for a number of years afterwards, and this is probably where Thomas was raised.
At some point, though, he must have headed south. At the age of 24, on 14 February, 1867 Thomas married the eldest child of James Laing and Isabella McLean, Jane Ann Laing, aged 21, at her parent’s place at Towamba. near Eden, NSW (BDM 1867/1990).
Jane Laing, who was born September 8, 1845 at Glenduart, near Moruya, NSW, was the daughter of the convict, James Laing who was from Aberdeen, Scotland and Isabella McLean, an Assisted Immigrant from the Isle of Coll, Scotland.
Their Married Life
- William Rixon was born in (1868/902).
- Thomas was born in 1870 (1870/9297)
- Sarah Ann was born in 1872 (1872/9605) .
- Robert John was born in 1874 (1874/10381)
- Donald Alexander was born in 1877 (1877/11378)
- Isabel Mary was born in 1880 (1880/13720).
- Charles James was born in 1882
- Amelia Jane was born on June 9, 1885
They settled at Rockton, closer to Bombala.
His last will and testatment records the farm of 120 acres of land at Rocky Hall was known as ” New Building Farm”
Death of Thomas Rixon
Thomas Rixon died from “face cancer” on October 20, 1901 at Bondi, near Rockton south of Bombala.
With thanks to Kerrie Beers..
This is the Last Will & Testament of me Thomas Rixon . Farmer & Grazier of Rockton formerly Bondi in the state of N.S.W. I give devise & bequeath to my wife Jane Rixon after payment of my just debts the farm of 120 acres of land at Rocky Hall known as ” New Building Farm” with ten young cows & all my household furniture & effects for her own use & benefit absolutely. The other land at Rockton with horses & cattle to be sold as soon after my decease as possible & divided equally amongst my children, sons & daughters alike. I appoint my sons William Rixon, Thomas Rixon & Donald Alexander Rixon to be my Executors of this my will 28 September 1901.
Death of Jane Laing
Jane Rixon died in 1919. (23510/1919)
Also with thanks to Kerrie Beers..
This is the Last Will & Testament of me Jane Rixon of Rockton NSW in the city of Auckland. I hereby revoke all wills by me, at any time heretofore made, & declare this to be my last Will & Testament. I appoint Robert John Rixon & Michael Flanagan to be executors of this my will, & direct that all my just debts & funeral & testamentary expenses shall be paid as soon as conveniently may be after my decease. I give & bequeath to my son Robert John Rixon my property at Rocky Hall, consisting of one hundred & twenty acres of land together with dwelling.
Dated this 15th day September in the year of our lord one thousand nine hundred & seventeen. signed Jane Rixon. Witness James Brownlie & Michael Flanagan. Estate sworn at 370 pounds
* William Rixon was born in (1868/902). He had a relationship with Ellen Laing, though they never married. He married Bertha Ramsey in 1908. William died at August 22, 1929 at Bairnsdale in Victoria,
* Thomas was born in 1870 at Eden (1870/9297) and died October 17, 1951 at Bombala
* Sarah Ann was born in 1872 at Eden (1872/9605) .
* Robert John was born in 1874 at Eden (presumably Towamba) at Bombala,
* Donald A was born in 1877 at Eden (1877/11378) and died June 4, 1948 at Bombala. The Sydney Morning Herald of December 12, 1951 has the following.
IN the estate of DONALD ALEXANDER RIXON late of Rockton near Bombala. In the State of New South Wales Grazier deceased Intes-tate Letters of Administration, granted by Supreme Court of New South Wales on the 8th June 1950 Pursuant to the Wills Probate and Administration Act 1898 1940 Testators Family Maintenance and Guardianship of Infants Act 1016 1938 and Trustee Act 1925-1940 Donald Alexander Smith the Ad- ministrator of the Estate of th» said Donald Alexander Rixon de-ceased who died on the 4th June 1048 hereby gives notice that Creditors and others having any claim against or to the Estate of the said deceased ore herebs required to send in particulars of their claims to the February 1952 at the expiration of which time the Administrator will distribute the assets of the said de- ceased to the persons entitled thereto having regard only to claims which he shall then havs notice Dated the 7 th December 1951 BLAXLAND MAWSON A» ROSE Solicitors Maybe Street. Bombala By their Agents ICE TON FAITHFULL it BALDOCK. Solicitors 28 O Connell Street Sydney.
Sorry have cut and paste from a scan and there are some errors.
* Isabel Mary was born in 1880 at Eden (1880/13720).
* Charles James was born in 1882 at Eden (1882/16005) and died 1885 at Eden
* Amelia Jane was born on June 9, 1885 at Eden (1885/19091. She married James Leslie Brownlie (born March 19, 1882).
Note: It’s possible Jane was known as Jeanie, according to this website though I am waiting for a confirmation.
Sharing Around: Please feel free to copy any of the information on this page which may help you in your own research. My feeling is that family research is hard enough, without the need to constantly re-invent the wheel. It would be great, however, if you’d leave a comment below just to say “hi”.